Finding out THPS1-2 model format

Discussion about Pre-THUG1 things can go here, such as modding, etc
Demo
VIP

Finding out THPS1-2 model format

Post by Demo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:28 pm

Maybe someone will be interested in this. I had such an idea to get levels from thps2 since some levels weren't reused in newer games and now we at least have possibility to port maps into th3. Knowing the format will allow to read all thps2 map, thps1, mhpb maps (and probably spider-man maps but who ares about it :lol:) I started some .psx model researches, found basic structure, vertex positions, vertex colors etc. But things are not as well as they should, I stucked at the moment when I got objects randomly placed, not as they should be, plus I'm little busy with LevelMod. But recently I tried to load Bullring (level with bull :) ) and here's what I got. After removing all trigger and collision objects I got a mesh with some wrong faces, but generally it is pretty nice. Also School1 and School2 are almost ok (this was a while ago, at least i remember i could recognize shape). On the other hand Hangar, Skate Heaven and Marseille are totally trashed. This is diasappointing me cause for now I don't see any reason why this may happen.

Bullring in 3ds max:
ImageImage

Random vertex colors:
Last edited by Demo on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

coolsnake
VIP

Re: Finding out THPS1-2 model format

Post by coolsnake » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:29 am

Very cool.

When you say .psx models research do you mean that you got the maps from the psx versions?

If so, would hypothetically Apocalypse maps work too? Since it's the granddaddy of the THPS games.

There's also an interesting link in the Apocalypse wiki that is an article about porting THPS to the dreamcast.
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20000 ... rom_01.htm

Talking about the dreamcast, would retrieving maps from it be easier/harder?
My converterted THUG2 PS2 parks to PC
Thanks to THPSX twitter account for converting. Contains tons of parks from Evil God, A couple from me (Beryllium, Belgian Prison), KSK Rooftops 2 and 3, Vex-Middle East, Verty Hollow from Mike, Ruin Cap etc...

Demo
VIP

Post by Demo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:25 am

coolsnake wrote: When you say .psx models research do you mean that you got the maps from the psx versions?
Talking about the dreamcast, would retrieving maps from it be easier/harder?
basically native platform for thps games is playstation, if you'll check files in all.pkr you'll find out that there are several files with .psx extension which are model/texture library/objects/trigger and actionly they are same files that PSX use. Better textures for pc versions are stored in external folder as bitmaps.

Don't know about apocalypse, in theory of course, but changes could be major since that is totally different type of game.

Dreamcast version still have .psx files and they are similiar to pc/psx (unlike xbox version which uses another format). I can parse Dreamcast files. But it seems that they added something in the end, that increases file size from 200-400kb to 1-3mb

coolsnake
VIP

Post by coolsnake » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:13 am

Have you ever considered the n64 versions?

I'm guessing the huge problem with that is that you lose all the important stuff beside the shape when you just rip the map out of the game right?
http://i.imgur.com/Z8gnv.jpg
My converterted THUG2 PS2 parks to PC
Thanks to THPSX twitter account for converting. Contains tons of parks from Evil God, A couple from me (Beryllium, Belgian Prison), KSK Rooftops 2 and 3, Vex-Middle East, Verty Hollow from Mike, Ruin Cap etc...

Demo
VIP

Post by Demo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:32 pm

you got things wrong. n64 emulators just allows you to rip directx commands as 3dripperdx does, but I want to read mesh right from game files. just like i do for thps3 (if you know my bsp2obj). I'm reading mesh right from bsp and i have all of the textured object. Here i probably read something wrong (unknown format etc), but once agan this appear not in all maps. Several maps are ok, several are trashed and several don't even load in 3ds max. More to levels list: Downtown Minneapolis is ok, but Philadephia is trashed.

Demo
VIP

Post by Demo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:13 pm

so today my view on this one changed a lot. i explored thps2x (xbox) files and found that there are still .psx files. the attempt to read one of them you can see below. if you don't know this is exlusive thps2x map - construction yard. also i found that i can easily rip textures from xbox version using existing xbox/graphic tools. the texture below is an arrow from burnside, if you played, you'll notice that it's much more detailed than in thps and even thps3.
stakes are raising, if succed, we have better textured th1+2 maps and 5 xbox exclusive levels.
ImageImage
Last edited by Demo on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

quazz
Global Moderator

Post by quazz » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Very nice. The THPS2x levels suck donkey nuts, but it'll be nice to have all of the others!

Demo
VIP

Post by Demo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:31 pm

sure, the more i'm in, the more i realize that thps2x is the way to go. here you can see marseille level - it's almost ok except few wrong extra faces, that surely appear cause i'm reading file wrong. hope that i'll be able will fix it soon.
Last edited by Demo on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

bAstimc
VIP

Post by bAstimc » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:23 am

Ok i messed around with THPS today and found source files of the level Warehouse and Tony Hawk might be no news but anyways... :D

And her comes the new trick called Hitlerflip LOL:

Demo
VIP

Post by Demo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:01 pm

old as world :lol:
https://www.mameau.com/thps/ (ex thps.sinfree.net)

and you can rip better version usin bsp2obj for thps3 files :P
Last edited by Demo on Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.