THUG1 to THPS4 Model Converter?

Discussion about Pre-THUG1 things can go here, such as modding, etc
RacingFreak

Re: THUG1 to THPS4 Model Converter?

Postby RacingFreak » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:59 am

UV mapping is totally the easiest thing, direct conversion is always better than ripping the model, if only when this is not possible. Anyone out of here tried to compile MDL2OBJ_UG2 version? It should be easy to do that, depending the compiler needed. Not sure.

PS
I have tried it on UG models aswell, reads the data but crashes when making the OBJ.

RacingFreak

Postby RacingFreak » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:22 am

Another edit: I compared a rip done with DX Rip of the final Viper mesh with the beta converted one. DX Rip seems to be totally more accurate then 3D Ripper DX here, because model matches in size and everything else. Cool stuff :)

ZurePitchmen83
VIP

Postby ZurePitchmen83 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:18 pm

The grouping is the hardest part, since 3D editors can't accuratly select using it's select tool, it would take hours for an accurately fixed model done with yosh's converters, The reason why THUG1 models don't work with yosh's converter is because the vertex array is different in THUG1/2, you have to edit the source code for it to work on THUG1 models, another guy has every THPS4/THUG1/2 level in OBJ format, not sure if he's active anymore, side note with TEX2DDS converter, DXT2 textures are basicly renamed DXT1 Textures, if you hex edit DXT2 and rename DXT2 to DXT1, it should work fine

RacingFreak

Postby RacingFreak » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:10 am

Thanks for the tip of changing DXT2 to DXT1! Now I have got some good textures to work with. What I have additionally noticed is that some models use some sort of double layer UV map, which is impossible in Zmodeler so I have to change the texture (the matter with veh_black_cab_shiny model). Well tbh, selecting and detaching the model parts is easiest thing, although if ripped with DX Rip, it directly splits it into parts according to where the material is mapped. I use Zmodeler for the matter, and working with Zmodeler is pretty simple :P

Would it be easier to create a plugin for programs like Noesis? As ripping every single object (if going to make a level) will basicly take a lot of days to do :ugeek:

ZurePitchmen83
VIP

Postby ZurePitchmen83 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:47 pm

RacingFreak wrote:What I have additionally noticed is that some models use some sort of double layer UV map, which is impossible in Zmodeler so I have to change the texture (the matter with veh_black_cab_shiny model).
The way to make the double layered geometry to work is the scale one layer up a little bit and it should show up fine, i had the issue with ripping THAW maps (Mall Level), the floor had the same thing happen

RacingFreak

Postby RacingFreak » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:01 am

Any progress in creating such tool?

ZurePitchmen83
VIP

Postby ZurePitchmen83 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:13 pm

RacingFreak wrote:Any progress in creating such tool?

If you're talking about creating a THPS4 MDL-to-OBJ converter, i haven't had plans on doing that, but i might get around to doing it

bAstimc
VIP

Postby bAstimc » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:51 am

ZurePitchmen83 wrote:
RacingFreak wrote:Any progress in creating such tool?

If you're talking about creating a THPS4 MDL-to-OBJ converter, i haven't had plans on doing that, but i might get around to doing it

ye do it :D

Return to “Legacy THPS”