How to get the THAW LAN mode working

New mods can be put here with the game name at the beginning.
Forum rules
Specifiy what game it is for and give reasonable instructions on how to install it.
Give credit where credit is due.
JaneSullivan

How to get the THAW LAN mode working

Postby JaneSullivan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:07 am

Hello everybody,

my friends and I are used to play good old games at our retro LAN parties.

Over the past years, we've managed to get over 200 "old games" up and running properly.
Unfortunately, there remains Tony Hawks American Wasteland, which I've never got running via multiplayer LAN (offline LAN without any internet access!).

So after many months of researching, testing and analyzing I've couldn't find a solution to solve the issues.

Now you're our last hope for getting the LAN mode of THAW working again.

We have Windows 7 x64 machines in use for our LAN parties and everyone is using the US version with the applied patch 1.01 and copied over the reloaded THAW.exe.

Furthermore we have tried the THAW Launcher 1.0.0.5 (with tm_e.pab.wpc + tm_e.pak.wpc activated) and THE-MOD v0.1 without the Launcher.
None of them worked for us.

We are able to start a network game without any problems but no one can’t find or join the hosted network game. :(

Has someone managed to get the LAN mode (without internet access) running properly on a Windows 7 x64 machine?

Thank you for your interest/time. :)

JaneSullivan

Re: How to get the THAW LAN mode working

Postby JaneSullivan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:29 am

No one ever played that in LAN mode without internet? :(

%.gone.
Global Moderator

Postby %.gone. » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:41 pm

I don't believe they have. It wasn't enabled in the game by default but code was left over. Really all that was done was adding a button to a menu to access the functions. They're mostly exe functions so the issue is in code we don't have access to.

JaneSullivan

Postby JaneSullivan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:05 pm

Thank you very much for answering.

I was just wondering why the online multiplayer mode is working without any issues and the offline LAN mutliplayer isn't working a bit.
Do they not use the same "modules" or "base"?

%.gone.
Global Moderator

Postby %.gone. » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:00 pm

I honestly can't answer your questions. I was under the assumption it was simply left out or wrapped in an if statement to make it some secret feature. As you've mentioned, enabling it doesn't make it work properly. Perhaps they ran into complications or blocked it altogether to keep it a console only type of feature. I base this on the fact that THUG2 allowed you to see specialitems (the shark in sheckler grind and others) on clients in a server and THAW removed that. Also, the if statement in levelselect.pak that blocks created parks from being played online, would be another THAW bullshit block that doesn't break the game.

JaneSullivan

Postby JaneSullivan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:54 am

Thank you for your answer.

So now THAW for our LAN parties.

We would like to switch over to THUG Pro then. Would it be possible to play that completely offline in LAN mode?

%.gone.
Global Moderator

Postby %.gone. » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:41 am

I do what I can.

THUG Pro is a mod of THUG2 and as far as I know THUG2 lan mode works fine. It was included with the game.
I've done testing using polygamy of THUG Pro and lan mode from the same PC. I'd expect it to work for your lan party.

JaneSullivan

Postby JaneSullivan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Oh, I had a typo in my last post - I meant no and not now :mrgreen:

I've downloaded THUG Pro through the installer and zipped the directory afterwards.
In addition to that I've exported the registry entry.

Next weekend we will have another LAN party and I will give the archive and the registry patch (of course they have to alter the path before they apply the patch).

I am optimistic that this will do the trick :)
Unfortunately we have to solve all installations/configurations for our LAN computers without internet connection.

Thank you for your support :)

JaneSullivan

Postby JaneSullivan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Just want to inform you, that THUG Pro worked like a charm without internet on our LAN party at the weekend (with "my installation method").

Thank you for your help :)

Return to “Mod Releases”